I really have a sweet tooth. I try to cut down my sugar and indulge once a month or so. It’s very hard for me to keep that commitment. I always keep raisins & dates handy. They do help but when I crave something more – I make this. This is used as a filling in a different recipe that I make on special occasions – will write later. This is definitely way better than the processed sugary store bought stuff.
Here’s what I do –
- I soak 1 cup of Chana dal overnight.
- I cook it on stove top till it’s cooked well and am able to pierce it. Do not let it cook till it’s fall apart. Then drain it right away.
- I spread it on tissue paper. This is optional. But I want to remove as much as water as I can – because I want the end result to be thicker not watery. I leave it for a couple minutes.
- I use my Indian grinder – blender will work too. I mix Chana dal and 1 cup of Jaggery and add little by little. Do not use water. Jaggery releases all the moisture needed. Scrape the sides as you grind.
- Turn off after the mixture comes together smooth & refrigerate & scoop & enjoy!!! Takes only 2 – 3 minutes. Do not grind longer. I like it a little on the coarse side.
P.S. They say toor dal works too. If I try it, will let you know.