The first time I bought spaghetti squash – I was clueless. I cooked it up in the oven and however I seasoned it, I didn’t like it. Then I figured I may love it if I season it up with Indian spices, add some heat, zing and cook it up like upma. I plainly googled ‘Spaghetti Squash upma’ and to my surprise, someone had already thought about it, cooked it and posted a recipe – https://indfused.com/2014/09/24/scrumptious-spaghetti-squash-upma/. I followed their instructions – it was yummy – but it was slightly bland for us. I revised the recipe & cooked it for dinner yesterday and the whole family loved it. I didn’t have to modify it for Dhyan – he ate it just like that – isn’t that awesome ? Hubbs cleaned up the plate and commented later that the taste was still lingering in his mind. & that he wished there were more 🙂 I can see myself making it again soon.
Here’s what I did –
- Wash , dry the squash. stab all over. Cook in a preheated oven for an hour at 375F
- cut into half. Let it cool
- generously remove central area with all the seeds using a fork and throw into compost
- remove the rest using a fork again & don’t throw it away too 😉 save it.
- In my deep stainless steel pan, I added oil and added freshly minced garlic & after a few seconds of mixing I added peanuts. I let it roast.
- Then I added hing, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves , urad dal, at least 4 red chilies broken in half, curry leaves – Don’t burn the spices
- After few minutes, I added the squash, salt, juice of one lime , amchur powder, garam masala, curry powder, jaggery, frozen grated coconut
- Mixed it all well & covered it up
- I cooked in a low heat setting the entire time.It is very important to check the taste at this point & add condiments as required. After a few minutes, I turned it off.
- Enjoy it right away if possible!