I promised I will share the green juice recipe in my last WWAD post – here it is ->
First things first , the pumpkin I used is a white one I purchased at an Indian store in Irving. I even saw an orange pumpkin there – I am not sure if we can use that. The white pumpkin I am talking about has a thicker, greenish skin & white flesh. Yes, head to your closest Indian store.
Growing up in India, I remember drinking pumpkin buttermilk. They blend this pumpkin, yogurt, salt. They strain & serve. I can definitely make it with vegan yogurt now. I wanted something else though. I was inspired by this recipe – http://www.rakskitchen.net/2016/04/white-pumpkin-juice-poosanikai-juice.html. Here’s what I did –
I peeled my big slice of white pumpkin & chopped it up. There were no seeds – if there were, I would discard/compost them. I chopped up 1 medium cucumber, 1 bunch of mint, 1/2 of a cilantro bunch, 1/2 of a lemon & then I used my juicer to juice it up. It was unbelievably refreshing …
Just a few pointers –
- When juicing, I added little bit of all together meaning – I added mint & cilantro & lemon along with pumpkin & cucumber to help the juicer. Also if I added lemon at the end, it was getting stuck. I had to add them at the top.
- My juicer isn’t expensive one. I always re-juice my pulp and then compost it
- I don’t use the provided container to catch the juice. It’s too small. I spill. I use a big mixing bowl from my kitchen – no more spilling 🙂
- As always, drink as soon as possible. Also try to clean the juicer right away esp. the blades.
- Please reduce the amount of mint if you prefer that.
Try it. You will taste summer 😀